31 Oct How to Network on Melbourne Cup Day
Networking and Melbourne Cup with a starter of Halloween!
Networking and Melbourne Cup are not necessarily a natural career enhancing ‘marriage’ especially if the ‘third wheel’ champagne is involved. After all, surely it an opportunity to relax on ‘work time’, may be you’ve even scored a ticket to a VIP event your boss has organised? Or possibly simply looking forward to an early finish from the day job!
Take a moment to consider this … 2017 is just around the corner and you have already been considering your next career step: promotion? exit strategy? total ‘sea change’? The need for a mentor perhaps? So why not make this Melbourne Cup a double winner … with some ‘opportunist relaxation’, networking and connecting doesn’t have to be a formal set up.
Here are 5 quick tips to make the most of Melbourne Cup Day;
- Have you taken off all your Halloween make-up properly? Turning up as a gothic ‘Kiss’ impersonator might not serve you well… think ‘personal brand’
- Many bosses/senior execs also want to relax today … create an opportunity ‘chat’ informally and engage on a ‘human level’ … ‘people want to connect with people’ not an over formulated walking advert. Authenticity is key.
- Stay classy or out of sight! We’ve all heard the jokes about ‘what happened at the Christmas party’ etc. Melbourne Cup is no different. The reputation you worked so hard for can built and destroyed very quickly.
- Eyes everywhere … or phone cameras and Facebook! If you’re somewhere you’re not meant to be …
- In the office all day? Not everyone is interested in the Melbourne Cup (or has the time to be) … take the opportunity to speak to people you may not otherwise get to speak with or take the chance to catch up on some high profile work!
- At an Event? Don’t forget you business cards (or use one of the latest business card storage apps http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/smallbiz-tech/six-top-digital-business-card-apps-20150727-gilg0t.html
- but as per point 1 -try and keep it natural and remember to connect on LinkedIn tomorrow to keep building the relationship. You may meet a potential mentor, next employer or a recruiter that has the perfect role.