27 Jul Could you stand out in 6 seconds… don’t be a sheep! Resume tips Part 1.
Could you stand out in 6 seconds… don’t be a sheep! Get Hired Series – Resumes Part 1.
You’ve spent hours rejigging, reformatting and generally staring at your resume, you finally apply for the job, and you know you’re perfect for it… then you wait and wait… NOTHING happens… cue the tumbleweed!
Can you believe…6 SECONDS… is the average time a recruiter, HR or hiring manager spends reading your resume. Surely you deserve more…
Here are 6 quick resume tips on how to avoid common mistakes and break the 6 second barrier…
- Blah blah or baa baa! If you looked at the ‘same product with the same message’ hundreds of times a week wouldn’t you get excited if one of them was a bit different and delivered on what was asked –keep your resume concise, tidy, interesting…tailor made not mass produced –job specific!
- Show the love… recruiters are human too… show them you ‘care’ – avoid typos, sloppy grammar and if you are really, really interested… meet the application deadline (unless you have asked for an extension).
- Size is important… time yourself reading your resume – where do you get to in 6 seconds? Doing a sewing course in 1975 may not be relevant…
- Keeping it real… remember when you get to interview you will have to ‘back up’ all your amazing claims and achievements… poetic license is one thing… total fabrication… will only lead to embarrassment and of a door of opportunity… shut!
- Double dip or double yawn… cover letters are another opportunity to ‘sell yourself’ or put the recruiter/hiring manager to sleep before even looking at resume. Make it punchy and relevant. Make it count!
- Most importantly of all –the resume is only part of a chain of actions to get you to interview!
Look out for Part 2 in the ‘Get Hired’ series …. ‘Hear it from the horse’s mouth’ – advice from some of the best regarded recruiters and leaders in Sydney.
Love to hear more… call Dawn on 0415097345 for a free mini consult.